Thursday, October 23

Daddy's home, Daddy's home to stay!

Travis has been traveling for work at ton lately. He has been probably gone for about 5 or 6 days every 3 weeks or so for the past 4 months. It's either business meetings in West Texas, classes in OK and NV or doing some recruiting at the University of Wyoming...but in about 30 mins he will hit our front door and will be home to stay! He doesn't have to go anywhere again till February and we'll get to go with him because it's another class in Houston.

I'm such a whiner I know, but I HATE IT when he's gone. I can't sleep because every little noise keeps me on my toes and I miss the adult conversations. What can I say, he's my best friend...we've been married for 9 years...dated for 4 years before that....it's just weird with out him around. I know that I can do it, but I sure don't like it when he's not here. But in my defense Travis doesn't like it when I'm gone either. He says he can't sleep...maybe he's scared of the dark too ;-)... that he's bored and he wants us to come home. It's never fun to be the one left at home.:-(

He was looking at rocks in the dessert in Nevada all week. At night they would come back to their motel in Alamo, NV which is about 10 miles from Area 51. Travis said that it was a strange little town. He told everyone in his group "hey, I'm from Wyoming y'all (yes, he said 'y'all') and have been to some really strange little towns, but I have never seen anything like this!" I guess it was just the weirdest place he's ever been. I only got to talk to him once because you had to call the motel office to be placed through to his motel room and the office closed at 5 pm. Guess if you were a weary traveler looking for a place to stay you'd have to make it to the Alamo Motel by 5 pm or keep driving another 1 1/2 to Las Vegas to get a room. Travis couldn't call me because his cell phone didn't work and he did have a calling card (who uses those anymore, anyway?!) and the only internet service he had was dial up. Did I mention that this town was only 1 1/2 north of Las Vegas? I guess the technology stops about 10 miles north of there :-). I'm sure the folks in Alamo like it the way things are and I'm sure life moves at a more peaceful leisurelly pace, but when you are used to high speed internet, a blackberry and businesses that stay open past 5 pm, I'm sure it was a little frustrating and somewhat mind blowing that there are places like that in America. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when Travis discovered he couldn't make any calls, receive calls, and have to wait 10 mins for a page to load on the internet.....in the words of Ralphie from The Christmas Story: "in the heat of battle, my father wove a tapestry of obscenity, that as fare as we know, is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan"

I think we're going to steal Ben & Brenda's idea and go to Babe's chicken for an early dinner tonight! Travis and I haven't been there since JT was born....mmmm it's sooo good!!!

1 comment:

Lyndsey said...

Your not the only one who can't stand to be the one left at home. I'm not fond of the dark, and I too hear all of the things that go bump in the night. Tonight and tomorrow night will prove quite sleepless since Shane is off to Arkansas this afternoon. He hasn't traveled as much as Travis, but it has been a lot more than when he worked at Qksilver. Oh well, we get through.