So the first time it happened was last Wednesday, which is the one of 2 days during the week that I have to be out of my house by 8:45 am. I'm a morning person, but I don't like having to get anywhere right away. I like being able to give my baby breakfast and then us playing in our p.j.'s in the backyard for a few hours (well he plays and I rake leaves....Will they ever stop falling?!) OK so I'll set the scene for you. The mommy was being lazy the night before and didn't get our lunches ready and JT's school bag packed with his essentials so of course I'm trying to get that done, plus feed the baby breakfast and get myself ready all with in an hours time.....next to impossible I might add. So finally I get us all packed into the car ready to go (of course we're running late) and I start the car and hit the garage door opener. Well if you ask me they should but a faster motor on those things for people like me :-) because when I thought the door was up far enough for my car to pass under I put it in reverse and.....boom, creeeeek, silence.....that's right I backed right into the bottom part of our garage door as it was coming up and it drug across the top of the back of the car....nice. Oh wait it gets better....so my first thought was "did I just knock the door off it's roller? and "it's going to fall on top of the car" followed with "I better hurry and try and get out of the way of it falling" (the doors are the original ones from 1976, are wood and weigh about 200 lbs, so the thought of it landing on top of me and Jackson in the car was flashing fearfully through my mind). So in my attempt to protect my precious baby in the car I hurry and put it in drive and tap the gas with my foot....umm wrong thing to do with the Honda!! You see this little CRV may be just a 4-cyl but she's got ump like you wouldn't believe. I have to be careful because if I step on it off of lights I'll end up peeling out....I love that little car! Anyway, so in my fear I tap the gas with my foot and the car leaps forward about 6 ft and Bam!.... smacks the fridge that we have in the garage....what a nice finish, I think! I hop out of the car and check the damage.....garage door still on runners and won't fall on car....check......fridge door slightly dented with a mark of green from the car.....check.....front bumper has a little smudge.....check.....top back of car....not quite as good as the rest.....really bad scratches all along the edge from the garage door scraping against it.
I get back in the car and think "did I just dream this?, did this really happen?" I look in the back seat at 2 little sparking blue eyes staring back at me with confusion (I figure that look will appear a lot over the next few years...hey, he has Crissy for a mommy, you can't blame the kid) and think to myself....SLOW DOWN, this could have turned out so much worse. So I call Travis to tell him that the car and the garage door got in a fight in which the garage door won and I was just an innocent by stander, and he tells me the same thing that I was thinking earlier....SLOW DOWN!! Then he started laughing at the thought of all this happening, which by that point I had found it pretty humorous too, so we had a good laugh together.
The best part was when I finally got to BSF, part of the lecture was about delegating responsibility because we can't do it all and one of the reasons we delegate responsibility is so the family can be on time for things and not always running late. Wow, it still amazes me how God does know every intimate detail of our lives....especially my habit of running late. I have since asked Travis to help lay out Jackson's clothes for me and pack his backpack for school the night before and STRIVE to be out the door at least 20 mins (better if it's 30 mins) before I have to be somewhere. That way I don't have to be trying to slip under the garage door to buy an extra 20 seconds or making Jackson feel rush and panicky because we are late. I plan to change this horrible habit that started young for me and I don't want my son to pick up on it and then be like his mommy....the one everyone is always waiting on. I know it will be a struggle and that I will still be late a few times, but if I keep striving eventually it will be a habit to be on time. I've already started this habit for Sundays long before the garage incident, but I have help on Sundays, so I need to do it without the extra set of arms.
So just picture me playing bumper cars with the garage door and the fridge and you might just get a giggle too!
1 comment:
You brought laughs here!! Glad the door didn't crush the car. And those baby blues are impressive. Have a good one.
Post a Comment