-It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men
Frederick Douglass
I remind myself often (some days several times a day) that today does matter.
Joyfully changing the diaper of a kicking screaming toddler, matters. Joyfully getting on the floor to help build up a block tower just to knock it down with in 1 second, matters. Joyfully listening with intent as the make believe story line is going NOWHERE slowly, matters. Joyfully cleaning up toys that have been brought into one room from every square foot of the house and then piled into the shape of a pyramid, matters.
Joyfully changing the diaper of a kicking screaming toddler, matters. Joyfully getting on the floor to help build up a block tower just to knock it down with in 1 second, matters. Joyfully listening with intent as the make believe story line is going NOWHERE slowly, matters. Joyfully cleaning up toys that have been brought into one room from every square foot of the house and then piled into the shape of a pyramid, matters.
Basically, joyful time spent with my boys matters. I'll try to show that I like to listen now when the conversation is not so interesting to me, so hopefully later when he's a teen he might know that I like to listen to him and that what is happening in his life is interesting to me.
I'll try to clean the toys up in a way that shows I'm happy to help him out, so that hopefully he may later help me with out complaining or grumbling.
I'll try play the things they want to play, even though I'd rather be doing something else (c'mon ladies, let's be real, Lincoln Log building gets OLD) so that Lord willing they will come over for coffee to visit their old mama even though they would rather be doing something else.
Can you see where I'm going with this? While I'm very thankful for these rowdy boys, God is burning the selfishness out of me......being selfish with my time. I've been denying my little boys time that they want with their mommy, all because I have this running list in my head of what needs done or what I would rather be doing. I've learned that even excessive studying of God's word over spending time with them can be selfish. It would be like learning a skill, getting the highest training for it and then never even working in the field that I was trained.
James 1:-23-24 (the NET) For if someone merely listens to the message and does not live it out, he is like someone who gazes at his own face in a mirror. For he gazes at himself and then goes out and immediately forgets what sort of person he was.
We recently went to a "wild west fest" and the boys got to pet a lot of little animals their size. They loved this little donkey
2 comments:
Thank you for this post.... I needed it today.
This is very refreshing! There is nothing better than having to little boys and sharing daily adventures. Thank you!
Post a Comment